Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Magnolia Leaf Display

I've been looking for something to put in my cute little window for Fall.  Our magnolia leaf art, from my last post, fits perfectly.  I decided to put a vintage book page behind each leaf. What do you think? Any other suggestions? Maybe a white book page instead?  I also added a small branch to my letter "M."  I would love to add a few more branches.
If you want to take a closer look, visit here.  I suggested using these for a banner or perhaps framing a few. You guys had the great idea to use them as Thanksgiving place cards.  I also had a few questions about whether I used dried leaves or fresh from the tree.  I picked leaves off the ground for this project, although the colors on the fresh leaves are so pretty.  I was worried they might change shape as they dried, so I tried to pick ones that had already started to dry and appeared mostly flat. The magnolia leaves are super thick and waxy.  These held up extremely well with the machine sewing.  Here in Florida, we have high humidity and are not running our heat.  These should be fine through Thanksgiving. I made some suggestions on my previous post on how to preserve them with gel medium. Maybe I'll run a test for us!

I hope you are having a great week!  More pics of the Hidden Treasures Holiday Open house coming up next.  Thanks for stopping by.

25 comments:

  1. Love the frame just the way it is. The old page compliments the vintage look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so interesting!

    love the little details you put on each one, I had to jump to the other post to the details (I guess I missed that post) ...
    beautiful, they would be pretty as place settings, too. But I love the window display personally.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicki, your art looks wonderful just as it is. Your so talented!!!
    hugs~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with these! The idea of making a banner out of them is a great one, also! Making art out of something found in nature that would otherwise be overlooked is just brilliant! You've inspired me to forage around out there. xo, A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! Going out to pick some up off the ground tomorrow! I wouldn't change anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh isn't that Pretty!! and what a GREAT project for the Children to get involved in..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like these Vicki and I love the window with the wire behind it!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I REALLY like this idea! Adds so much character.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tres beau my friend....wouldn't change a thing - I LOVE the vintage book pages....the perfect finishing touch! Touche!! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a clever and creative art project, and I love it displayed this way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your leaves and now this display is perfect. What about a touch of green moss in a few of the corners and the base of the M? Wonderful creative mind you have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. and they fits perfect in your wonderful window Vicki - what a great idea

    xo Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet idea! I adore how you displayed these! :D

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous, love it as it is, simply beautiful!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great way to display those embellished leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very beautiful and creative!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, it's just a great project all around and I love each and every little leaf and all the embellishments....I can't think of anything that would look better, either. LOVE the whole thing!
    ~Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the look; I love all the details that draws the eye in! The poetic/artsy eye ;D
    It is wonderful; thanks so much for sharing~
    I need to go find some of those leaves...I too wonder about preserving them, but I agree with you, they are waxy! Didn't Martha Stewart make a wreath with these leaves and it lasted for like forever?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vicki These are simply gorgeous! Nature provides the best gifts to work with - aren't we so lucky?
    Hugs to you,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...